Social Science: Mrs. H.B-Chipley
Room: B209 (708) 210-2860 Ext. 2485
Welcome Back! I am a 7th/8th grade teacher at Prairie Hills Junior High. The students will switch classes to prepare them for transition to High School and beyond. I specialize in the area of social science. Please allow me to THANK YOU in advance for your help and encouragement with the students this school year. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me, Mrs. H.B.-Chipley, at Prairie Hills Junior High firstname.lastname@example.org . My room number is B209. The phone number is (708) 210- 2860,extension 24685.
The students are in for an exciting and challenging school year. This year the students will cover in social science:
United States History (7th to the Civil War) PARCC preparation
United States & WorldGeography Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences
Reading Skills and Strategies** Citizenship
U.S. Constitution (7th) Illinois Constitution (8th) UnitedStates Government
** Including Historical research, test taking strategies, and writing techniques.
The curriculum is aligned to state goals, standards and the Common Core. The Illinois standards are listed daily in the classroom. In order to provide our students with a variety of resources, the following textbooks will be utilized this year.
“American History”, Pearson, Education (Student- 7th/8th grade)
“Building Geography Skills for Life”, Glencoe(in class)
“We the People”, Center for Civic Education(in class)
“The NYSTROM ATLAS” (in class)
The students will have access to my personal library of primary and secondary sources as well as educational web sites. Please encourage the students to take care of their books, as book damage fees will be assessed at the end of the school year. I ask that all students protect their books with the use of book covers.
The students will be active participants in their education. In the classroom they will become historians and unlock the past using research techniques. The sixth graders will explore the ancient civilizations of the world. They will discover the impact of trade routes, search the Pyramids, build a tomb, create a written language, and examine the roles of women in various cultures and use technology. The students will need help and support from home, so be prepared for questions, interviews and polls. I will require polls as the student’s search for Patriotism. They are encouraged to appreciate the cultural diversity that is America!
The students will receive homework 3-4 nights a week. (Practice makes perfect).
The grading scale is:
100 - 92 A
91 - 83 B
82 - 74 C
73 - 65 D
64 and below earns an F
The break down for the final grades for 6th grade:
30% Test scores
30% Class work,Journals/Participation
15% Projects, Labs, Published Writings
I encourage you to spend time discussing the rules, regulations and policies of the Prairie Hills SchoolDistrict 144 Student Discipline Handbook. In addition, these are the classroom rules developed by the students and myself:
- We will listen and follow directions the first time given.
- We will keep our hands, feet, and objects to ourselves; as well as inappropriate comments, sounds and avoid putting any inappropriate objects in our mouths at any time other than lunch.
- We will have good conduct, cooperate, respect each other’s personal space and be responsible for our own actions.
- We will stay focused, be honest, active learners - to the best of our abilities.
5. We will listen to every student’s opinion,respect others and ourselves (agree to disagree) treating others theway we want to be treated.
6. We will stay in our seats, raise our handsand then wait (silently) to be called upon.
7. We will keep our personal hygiene together atall times.
1. Verbal warning 1. “Caught Being Good Coupons”
2. Name written on board 2. Kudos Call- telephone calls of praise to phone parents
3. Parental phone call 3. Individual treats (random)
4. After-school detention/Saturday 4. Verbal Praise
5. Parent Conference
6. Possible Suspension
Please remember the students and I appreciate any expertise from you. I look forward to seeing you at parentteacher conferences.