5 TIPS TO ENCOURAGE READING
- Let your child choose. Plan a field trip to the library and let your child choose books that interest them. A librarian can help steer them in the right direction, too. Keep books readily available at home, in the car, wherever your day takes you.
- Read to your child. Establish a routine for reading. Whether before bed or at snack time, reading can fit into almost any part of your daily routine.
- Read aloud together. It’s never too early to start reading to your little ones. For older kids, take turns reading each page of a favorite book.
- Talk about what you are reading. Asking questions before, during and after the read helps your child make connections and increase reading comprehension skills.
- Show your child that you enjoy reading. Be a reading model. Children often mimic parent behavior. Let your child see you enjoying reading and soon you may have an avid reader yourself.
exerpt taken from Reading is Fundamental, www.rif.org