A = 92% - 100%
B = 83% - 91%
C = 74% - 82%
D = 65% - 73%
F = 0% - 64%
*BINDERS WILL BE SET UP TOGETHER IN CLASS*
- 1 one-inch binder
- 5 binder tabs
- 1 spiral-bound notebook
- Lined filler paper
- Glue sticks
- Student planner (provided by the school but must purchase another if lost)
Homework is expected to be turned in on time, complete, on the day it is due. Students have 5 days to turn in late homework assignments before they are not worth points anymore, however points will be deducted for late submissions (unless the student was absent). For each day an assignment is late, 20% is deducted. That means turning in an assignment one day late will only earn a student up to 80%!
I do not chase down late homework! Students are responsible for turning in their own work.
Students receive ONE copy of an assignment in my class. I do not make extra copies since all science documents can be found in our Google classroom drive (link below). If a student is not able to acess the internet outside of school, I will write them a pass to the library to print.
A PRINTED ASSIGNMENT COPY IS NOT NECESSARY. I understand that not everyone is able to print at home! If a student loses their homework copy and cannot print, it is acceptable (in my class) for them to write their answers on a separate piece of paper, or even for them to email me their responses.
If something comes up and a student needs an extension, either the student themselves or their parent/guardian should reach out prior to the day it is due to let me know. If a student comes to class without a completed assignment on the day it is due without having contacted me, points will still be deducted for tardiness.
If a student is caught working on incomplete science homework (or any other non-science classwork) in my class, the assignment will be confiscated and thrown out. It is up to the discretion of other teachers whether they will allow make ups or not.
Assignments and Extra Document Copies
The website I use to post assignments is Google classroom. Please be mindful that other teachers may use different websites for their assignments. Click here to access our Google classroom page.
In our shared class Google drive, students can find uploads of class documents and files. This is an especially helpful resource in the event that extra copies of work are needed. Click here to access the Google drive.
In the event of an absence, it is the responsibility of the student to collect their make up work from the multi-colored hanging file folder. The new due date will be written on the assignment.
Staying in Touch
Saturday-Sunday: 12 PM - 3 PM
1) I STRONGLY recommend all parents sign up for Remind; it is an application I use that can be accessed on a computer or downloaded onto any smartphone. It allows me to send mass messages to anyone signed up to receive notifications from me. I use this to help remind parents and students of upcoming due dates, hallway updates, and other helpful information. There is also a private message feature where more confidential conversations can be had between parent and teacher.
Click here to sign up for my 2019-2020 Remind group. *You may need to enable notifications separately.*
2) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3) School Landline: 708-210-2860 ext.
4) Google Voice # (text/call): You will be contacted personally with this number.
Quarter 1: The atmosphere in motion, oceans, weather, and climate
- the roles of water in Earth's surface processes
- weather and climate
- global climate change
Quarter 2: Earth's resources, engineering design process
- human impacts on Earth systems
- developing and optimizing solutions
- engineering design process--Invention Convention
Quarter 3: Energy
- definitions of energy
- conservation of energy
- developing possible solutions
Quarter 4: Cells, the human body, genes, support/movement/responses
- structure and function of living things
- information processing
- growth and development of organisms
- variation of traits